Student Research

Narek Mkrtoumian presenting research

Become an expert. Explore an innovative idea. When you get involved in research, you level up your education while developing skills that every employer needs. Whatever your major, you can participate in real research on campus, by supporting a professor's project or leading one of your own.

Have questions? Ask your advisor about the best way to plug into research in your major.

  • Most departments offer research assistantships with individual faculty members. Opportunities vary by department, so consult your advisor or department chair for details about research assistantships in your area of interest. These special donor-funded research programs and fellowships are additional ways to get research experience unique to your discipline. 

    • James L. Fredericks Fellowship
      Based in the Department of Theological Studies but open to all students, the James L. Fredericks Fellowship supports student-faculty research projects that address an interfaith theme.  
    • Knott Fellowship
      English majors are eligible for a pre-professional fellowship to fund a special writing project for fiction writers, journalists, and dramatists. Knott Fellows have used the funding to support pre-professional internships, while others have used it to conduct bold research and writing projects. Ask the English Department for application information.
    • Archaeology Student Enrichment Fund
      The archaeology program in the Classics and Archaeology Department sends qualified students on international archaeology digs, funding up to $2,500 per student for travel and expenses. Ask the archaeology program for details about this unique opportunity.
  • You've finished your research project, so now what? Show off your findings to students and faculty at a symposium or conference. Ask your department chair or advisor for ideas in your department or discipline. Students have presented at political science conferences, Chicana/o Studies conferences, and others. Some other resources to help you get started: