Change of Academic Program (Change of Major)


Review the academic policy on Change of Academic Program.

Entering freshmen and transfer students are admitted to the University in their academic major of choice at application. A change of academic major or emphasis/concentration in the major within the same school or college may be limited by the availability of space within the requested major and requires the approval of the department chair and the Associate Dean of the College or School. Undeclared students must declare a major by the end of their second year at LMU. If you are a NEXUS student, please consult with the NEXUS program to declare your major.  

Students may submit a Change of Academic Program to add/drop a major/minor/concentration. Note that programs within other colleges may have a separate application process and/or perquisites that a student must meet prior to being admitted into the program.


Visit the Registrar's "Forms" page and select the "Registrar Services Portal" to begin the process. The Change of Academic Program form will take 5-10 business days to be processed.


  • Yes, a student must meet the following prerequisites prior to declaring a major/minor in Psychology:

    Freshman/Sophomore standing
    Minimum grade of C in PSYC 100

    Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0

  • If you are a BCLA student looking to switch to a major within BCLA you may switch your major but submitting the Change of Program form.

    If you are a student in another college, and would like to declare a BCLA Major, you will need to wait until you return to good academic standing to change your major. Please meet with a BCLA Advisor to discuss a path moving forward.