Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some answers to commonly asked questions in POLS/IR. For more general questions, please see BCLA FAQ.


· Can I take Political of the Global Economy without taking Introduction to IR?

  • No.

· Can my international experience be waived?

  • No.

· Can you take Constitutional Law 2 without taking Constitutional Law 1?

  • Yes.

· Will my Psychology/Economic statistic’s course count for POLS 2100?

  • Yes. Please see chair or IR director for a degree audit adjustment.

· Can I take upper division courses (3000 and above) in my first year?

  • We do not recommend it.

· How many courses from study abroad count toward my major?

  • 2 upper division courses.

· Can I take a 2000-level course during my first year?

  • Yes.

· Can I take a 5000-level course as a junior?

  • Yes.

· Does the department accept AP Comparative and AP US Government course credits?

  • Yes, if you receive a 4 or a 5.

· What does “SS” mean on Prowl (eg POLS 3998 SS: Political Behavior)?

  • It means special studies (not senior seminar) and the course is not regularly taught.

· How do I change or add a major/minor?

  •  If you want to change your major or add or drop a minor, please complete and submit the online form accessed through the registrar's portal.