History Student Association (HSA)
The History Student Association sponsors informal gatherings, game nights, and forums on historical topics in the news. The History Student Association is open to everyone interested in historical matters – you do not need to be a major or minor in History! Follow us on Twitter for information about our activities.
Phi Alpha Theta
Phi Alpha Theta is the History Honor Society. The purpose of the Society is to promote the study of History through encouragement of research, publication, and discussions of historical topics. The national organization offers scholarships, reviews student research for publication, and provides opportunities for students to present their work at the Annual Convention. At LMU, Phi Alpha Theta members co-organize a range of events, from invited speaker lectures to historical reenactments, with its partner organization, the History Students Association.
All registered LMU students who meet the eligibility requirements may apply for membership. You do not have to be a History major or minor.
- History GPA of 3.1 or higher
- Overall GPA of 3.0 or higher
- History Courses. Students must have completed and passed 4 History courses, of which only 1 may be an online, transfer, or AP course.
- Membership Fee. Lifetime membership is $50 and is due at time of application.
The deadline to apply is Friday, March 15, 2019. APPLY NOW
What does Phi Alpha Theta do?
- Awards over 25 scholarships and prizes annually to members.
- Organizes nationwide conventions each spring for undergraduate, graduate, and faculty members, as well as a variety of regional meetings.
- Publishes The Historian, a quarterly journal to which members at all levels are invited to submit their research papers and opinion pieces.
- Publishes The News Letter, which highlights chapter activities, alumni news, and internship/scholarship/job announcements.
- At LMU, our chapter of Phi Alpha Theta is active in a variety of fun, academic, and career-focused events, such as invited speakers, museum visits, movie nights, and internship/travel/scholarship events.
Benefits of Membership
- Members receive an official Certificate of Membership and a one-year subscription to The Historian and The News Letter.
- Eligible to apply to Phi Alpha Theta exclusive awards and scholarships offered each year.
- Membership may be listed on resumes and CVs.
- Sash of distinction to wear during LMU Commencement.
Phi Alpha Theta
University Hall, Room 3440
Sean Dempsey, Ph.D.
Phone: (310) 258-5403
University Hall 3505
Phi Alpha Theta Officers
- President: Nickolas Abbott
- Vice President: Madison Martin
- Secretary: Emily Massey
- Treasurer: Nana Turkson
- Membership Coordinator: Jordyn Weddel