There are many sources and types of assistance available to help finance your graduate education. This page offers guidance with respect to two primary types of financial assistance – Departmental Scholarships and University Scholarships – both accessible through a single application process. Additional information is provided below regarding Graduate Assistantship positions and Fellowship opportunities.
The Graduate Theological Studies Department offers a Department Scholarship on the basis of demonstrated financial need and merit.
Students who wish to be considered for a Theological Studies Department Scholarship must file a Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA), in addition to filling out the current year's Theological Studies Graduate Scholarship Application. This Scholarship Application will need to be filled out and submitted for every semester that the student wishes to receive scholarship aid. FAFSA will need to be filed annually.
When filing your FAFSA, LMU's Federal School Code is #001234. The FAFSA is not required for international students.
For questions about the Departmental Scholarship, please contact the Theological Studies Program Administrator at 310.338.7772 or Jennifer.Scott@lmu.edu.
In addition to the Department Scholarship offered by Theological Studies, LMU's Graduate Division offers the following scholarships to graduate student applicants across the University:
Catholic Teacher / Ministry Scholarship
• Award Amount: $1000 per 3-unit class (*for up to 2 courses per semester in Fall and Spring, and 1 course in Summer terms)
• Eligibility: Applicants must teach full-time in Catholic Elementary or Secondary Education or work full-time in Catholic Ministry.
• Additional Materials: Applicants should include employment verification in the form of a signed statement from your employer on official letterhead along with their scholarship application.
Developing Countries Scholarship
• Award Amount: 100% of tuition
• Eligibility: Available to priests or members of a religious order (non U.S. citizens) who come from developing countries.
• Additional Materials: Applicants should include a copy of their R-1 visa and a one-page statement of intent along with their scholarship application.
• Award Amount: 25% of tuition
• Eligibility: Applicant must be a member of the Catholic Clergy or Catholic religious orders.
• Additional Materials: Applicants should provide evidence of membership in a Catholic religious order or proof of Clergy along with their scholarship application.
For questions about any of these University Scholarships, contact the Graduate Division at 310.338.2721 or email@example.com.