There is financial aid available for every student enrolled in the program. Good standing is required for continuation of program-funded financial aid. None of these categories preclude the others: it is possible for a graduate student to simultaneously have a Graduate Grant, a Philosophy Teaching Fellowship, and a Graduate Student Assistantship. Together these elements form a competitive financial aid package for our applicants.
LMU Financial Aid Office
- For information visit LMU Financial Aid
- For personal consultation with an LMU Graduate Financial Aid Counselor, call 310.338.6086.
Philosophy Graduate Grants
- The Philosophy M.A. Program awards all incoming students who met the priority admission application deadline with a Graduate Grant ranging from $5000 to $9000 per year (depending on admissions criteria and availability). These grants are directly applied to the tuition bill.
Philosophy Teaching Fellowships
- Students who take the Teaching Orientation and Practicum course in the Spring semester of their first year are eligible to become Philosophy Teaching Fellows in the second year. These fellowships add an additional $5000 of funding for the second year. Fellowships are paid biweekly; they are not automatically applied to one’s tuition bill. Philosophy Teaching Fellowships are in addition to the Graduate Grant.
Graduate Student Assistantships
- The Philosophy M.A. Program has three $13,000/year Graduate Student Assistantships (two from the Graduate Program, one from the Los Angeles Lonergan Center). These assistantships are renewed upon good standing in the program. The GSAs for the Graduate Program work with the Graduate Director in running the program and also serve as the coordinators of the Graduate Philosophical Society and its events. Assistantships are paid biweekly; they are not automatically applied to one’s tuition bill. Every Philosophy M.A. Program GSA is in addition to the Graduate Grant.
- Other departments and offices throughout the university have Graduate Student Assistantships that Philosophy students can obtain. They are also around $13,000 per year. <<LINK to LionJobs?>>
- Students can only have one GSA at any given time, regardless of who is offering them.
Other Grants and Scholarships
- A student might be eligible for additional grants and scholarships connected to the University, private groups, U.S. Military service, etc. Please discuss these matters with an LMU Graduate Financial Aid Counselor or with the Program Director.