- The General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Applicants must take the GRE. Usually, successful applicants have a combined verbal and quantitative score of at least 300 and an analytic writing score of at least 4.
- Demonstration of Competence in Philosophical Study through:
- Completion of undergraduate major or minor in Philosophy
- Strong undergraduate preparation in a closely related field
- The competency of students with non-traditional backgrounds will be determined in interviews with the Program Director
- The average GPA of students entering our program is 3.5 or higher
- Two letters of recommendation
- A Personal Statement of intent
- No more than four typed pages
- Applicants are expected to indicate why they wish to pursue philosophical studies at the graduate level and what their career plans are
- A Writing Sample
- 10-20 pages in length.
- Preferably of philosophical writing.
Priority deadline for the receipt of all materials
- Fall Semester Entry: March 15th
- Spring Semester Entry: November 1st
- Applications are accepted after these deadlines, but financial aid monies might no longer be available. Students admitted without financial aid at entry are eligible for financial aid the following year.
How to Apply
Submit all application materials using LMU's online application.
If you have any questions, please contact:
Graduate Program Director
University Hall 3637