Funding and Fellowship Opportunities
Nearly all of our M.A. students receive some form of financial assistance to support their graduate study at LMU. Incoming and continuing students can apply for part-time stipended assistantships and fellowships, merit-based scholarships that defray the cost of graduate education. The program also offers funding to support student participation in academic conferences or conducting research. Please email us if you have questions about any of these opportunities.
Teaching Fellows serve as teaching assistants and instructors in LMU's undergraduate writing classes. This position offers excellent preparation for students interested in teaching English or writing at the high school, community college, or university levels.
- Teaching Fellows must be full-time students.
- Workload averages 15-20 hours per week.
- Resume or CV
- One-page letter that expresses why you are interested in the position and any teaching, tutoring, or leadership positions that you believe will contribute to teaching
- At least one letter of recommendation that supports your application for a TF, preferably someone familiar with your experiences in teaching, tutoring and/or leadership (this letter can be one of the two letters of recommendation required for admission)
The English graduate assistant coordinates graduate student events, designs promotional flyers, manages the program’s advertising and website, prepares information packets, conducts research for Graduate Director.
- The graduate assistant is paid about $12,000 per academic year
- The graduate assistant must be full-time student
- Workload averages 15-20 hours per week.
- Brief letter expressing why you are interested in the position and any management, leadership and/or organizational skills that you believe will contribute to your term as Graduate Assistant in our M.A. Program.
- Two references who will support your application for the GA. Please provide their name, address, email, and phone number.
Communications Graduate Assistantship
The Bellarmine College of Liberal Arts (BCLA) is seeking a Communications Graduate Assistant to support a diverse portfolio of communications initiatives for the College, including storytelling, event marketing, website maintenance and quality control, email marketing, and graduate program communications. Strong writing skills and an appreciation for liberal arts education are essential; skills in Adobe Creative Suite or web content management is desired. This position is excellent preparation for a student considering a career in professional writing or higher education.
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter to Alison Mullin, Communications Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org. You may submit materials at time of application, but you will not be considered for the position until you have been admitted.
Library Intern in Hannon Library’s Special Collections
Manage appointments for visitors to the archive, update and download available texts for the library’s database, work with other special collection librarians to learn archiving and textual research skills. The Library Intern is responsible for curating an archival exhibit for the library's special collections exhibit space.
- Intern is paid about $12,000 per academic year
- Intern must be a full-time student
- Workload averages 15-20 hours per week
- A brief letter expressing why you are interested in the position and any library experience and/or organizational skills that you believe will contribute to your term as Library Intern in our M.A. Program
- Two references who will support your application for a LI. Please provide their name, address, email, and phone number.
Merit-based scholarship awarded by the department on a yearly basis. All applicants and current graduate students interested must submit the scholarship application.
You may email your department scholarship application to Program Director Dermot Ryan, at email@example.com.
Travel Request Form
Funding available for conference presentations. Each student is limited to one conference per year, the student must be presenting, and a report is due after the conference. Travel Request Form must be submitted as soon as possible.
Spring Writing and Research Award
The Spring Writing and Research Award is awarded for research and writing, which may include travel to research site(s) or conference(s) and/or supplemental income to support the writing and revising of a research paper or a piece of creative work. The deadline to apply is April 5, 2019.
- Email the LMU Financial Aid office at firstname.lastname@example.org to discover the full range of funding opportunities.
- In addition to our English assistantships listed above, the university also offers a range of half-time graduate assistantships across campus. Those assistantships are available to all LMU graduate students, and current or incoming students can apply using the form on their website.