Creative Writing Emphasis
The Creative Writing Emphasis offers a range of coursework in several genres and modes of writing. In addition to strong fiction and poetry workshops, the Emphasis offers innovative classes including The Novella, Prose Poetry, The Memoir, Constraint Based Writing, Playwriting, and more. Students may also work with Faculty in other departments, including Film and Theatre. The innovative SYNTEXT program just being launched will offer students opportunities to involve their writing in local communities and landscapes, and work for social justice in various ways.
Ten courses are required for the M.A. in English with a Creative Writing Emphasis.
You also must submit a Capstone Portfolio Project.
- Courses are 5000- and 6000-level.
- 5000 courses may have advanced undergraduates and cap at 25.
- 6000 courses are seminars for graduate students only and cap at 15.
- At least four courses for the M.A. must be 6000-level classes.
You must take:
- Critical Methodology (1)*
- Contemporary Critical Theory (1)
- Major Writer / Seminar in a Genre or Literary Period (1)
- Creative Writing Seminars (4)
- Literature and Theory Electives (3)
The normal time it takes to complete the degree is two years.
* This course must be taken in the first semester of study.
Pictured above: Walt Whitman’s Leaves of Grass, First Edition, First Issue, 1855. Department of Archives and Special Collections, William H. Hannon Library, LMU. Gift of T. Marie Chilton.