Advising FAQs

Economics Advising FAQs

If you are an Economics student who declared the major or minor in Fall 2015 or later, then you must meet all program requirements as outlined in the University Bulletin.

If you are a continuing student who declared Economics prior to Fall 2015, then:

  • The total number of units for you to graduate overall (120), or for the major or minor, will not change.
  • Your graduation date will not be delayed as a result of the switch to the 4-unit curriculum.
  • Your CAPP report will continue to show the old major requirements, so you may need a CAPP adjustment at some point.
  • Most students will now take four classes each semester for 15 or 16 units. Typically this will mean taking four, 4 unit classes (16 units total), or three 4-unit classes and one 3-unit class (15 units total).
    • Students can still take up to 18 units without special permission.

Details on Major Requirements

  • ECON 1050 is now the standard introductory economics course, replacing ECON 110 and ECON 120.
  • ECON 410 is no longer required. If you have already taken ECON 410, it will now count towards your 400-level requirement.
  • ECON 330 (ECON 3300) is now required. If you took the 3-unit version, you’re all set. If you have NOT taken ECON 3300, you will not be required to take it unless you have not started your upper-division coursework. (Basically, if you have already taken ECON 310, then you are encouraged, but not required to take ECON 3300.)
  • If you are a BUSINESS and ECONOMICS double major (BA or BS), you may still count two of your Business classes towards your Economics major (whether they are 3 or 4 units).

Course Registration/Advising

Before meeting with any advisor in Economics, you MUST:

  • Look at your CAPP report on PROWL. Go to student services and find student records. You can generate your own CAPP report, which tells you exactly where you stand with regards to all graduation requirements. More specifically, your CAPP report tells you:
    • The requirements of the University Core and which courses you've taken that meet Core requirements, as well as the requirements you still need to meet.
    • The requirements for your major(s). 
    • The requirements for your minor(s), if any.
    • Which courses you've taken to meet the graduation requirement of 45 upper-division units (3000, 4000, and 5000-level courses).
    • How many units you have attained towards the graduation requirement of 120/124 units total (which depends on when you entered LMU - it will be noted at the top of your CAPP).
  • Look at the course schedule on PROWL. Write down the course number, title, and day/time of any courses you're interested in taking next semester.
  • Create one or more draft schedules using the course schedule. These courses should be selected to meet the requirements of the Core, your major, and minor (if any). You should have multiple options prepared in case a class fills before you register.
  • Schedule a time/day to meet with your advisor in Economics and bring your draft schedule(s). Some advisors make appointments, some hold additional drop-in office hours, and some post a sign-up sheet. If you don't know who your advisor is, you can check on PROWL. If you aren't assigned to an advisor, contact the Department Chair in Economics, Dr. Jennifer Pate.