Undeclared Student Resources
Welcome to BCLA’s Undeclared Student Resources page! As an undeclared student, you will have the opportunity to think about your personal and career goals and how they might connect to a potential major. Our goal is to help you declare a major before the end of your second year at LMU.
You will have the opportunity to sample a wide range of courses that will count toward core and elective requirements needed for graduation. As you take courses, you gain information and develop skills needed to make academic decisions. If you’re unsure about how to start the process of declaring your major, follow our suggested steps here to help you in your journey.
Advisors can provide assistance with the major exploration process. Here are some advising resources to help you get started:
- Attend a required Undeclared Workshop – RSVP here.
- Schedule an appointment to speak with a Professional Advisor after you attend a required Undeclared Workshop – schedule an appointment here.
- Speak with your assigned Undeclared Faculty Advisor, Dr. Marne Campbell – schedule an appointment here.
LMU offers a variety of exciting majors. Core classes and introductory major courses offer a glimpse of what a major has to offer. Many majors outside of the Bellarmine College of Liberal Arts (BCLA) have admissions requirements that must be met before you are admitted to the major. You will want to work with advisors in those majors early in your journey. Use the following helpful resources as part of your major exploration:
- Visit our BCLA’s Academic Information page to access 54 Major/Minor Program Worksheets to learn more about majors and minors in the Liberal Arts.
- Check out the Career and Professional Development Center (CPD) What Can I Do With This Major? page for career options associated to majors.
- Take a self-assessment through CPD to learn more about your interests, skills and values.
- Review the LMU Bulletin for information on all LMU majors.
- Meet with faculty advisors in your major of interest. BCLA faculty advisor contact information is available here.
- Attend faculty talks and events in areas of interest. Information on events is available in the LMU LEO platform through MyLMU, the University calendar, and is sent via email in our monthly BCLA Beat Newsletter.
- Participate in student organizations, clubs, volunteer opportunities, internships, and networking with others to learn about various majors and career paths.
- Speak with a BCLA Peer Leader during our Virtual Office Hours to get tips on how they selected their major.
- Take Exploring the Liberal Arts course offered every Fall semester.
Declaring a Major
Once you are ready to declare a BCLA major, meet with the Department Chair or with a faculty in the department discuss the course requirements for your proposed major. You will also need to complete a Change of Program form to officially declare a BCLA major. If you are declaring a major in a school or college outside of BCLA, please speak with them directly about how to declare a major.
For more information and additional resources, please visit our BCLA Virtual Office Hours. BCLA Virtual Office Hours are M - F, 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. and 3 p.m. - 5 p.m. (PST).