All students at Loyola Marymount University take 13 courses in the university’s Core Curriculum, which creates a common intellectual foundation among all students. The Core emphasizes intellectual, creative/artistic, and moral development – and is central to our mission to educate the whole person.
- All students must take 13 core courses distributed across 3 areas: Foundations, Explorations, and Integrations. For many BCLA students, some of classes might fulfill a core requirement and a major requirement at the same time. "C-" or better is required for all CORE courses beginning Fall 2016 regardless of students Bulletin Term.
- All students must also earn six flags in the competency areas of writing, oral skills, information literacy, quantitative reasoning, and engaged learning. A course may earn up to 2 flags at a time, and might earn a flag and fulfill one core requirement at a time. "D" or better is required for all FLAG courses beginning Fall 2016 regardless of students Bulletin Term.
The Core at BCLA:
BCLA offers the majority of core courses at LMU each semester; many BCLA students will be able to fulfill between 4 and 6 core requirements and flags within their own major.
Use your department’s Additional Academic Resources or consult your faculty advisor to strategically choose courses that fulfill core and major requirements at the same time.
Policies regarding the Core Curriculum flag requirements:
Students must complete six flag courses. All flagged courses must be taken at LMU. The University does not count transfer courses towards flag requirements.
Flag Guidelines for Students Transferring to LMU with:
- 60 or more units must complete three out six flags with at least one writing flag.
- 50-59 units must complete four out of the six flags with at least one writing flag.
- 40-49 units must complete five out six flags with at least one writing flag.
Tools to Graduate
Our Favorite Core Resources: