Latino/a Theology and Ministry Initiative
Our website is still being developed and more information will be available in the near future, including a Spanish website. Thank you for your patience....
Pronto este sitio de internet estará disponible en español. Gracias por su paciencia...
Welcome! ¡Bienvenidas y bienvenidos!
The LMU Latino/a Theology and Ministry Initiative emerged from a need to assess and then respond to the large population of Hispanic Catholics in the United States and is a joint project of the Department of Theological Studies and the Center for Religion and Spirituality.
As a Catholic university in the largest Catholic archdiocese in the country, LMU is uniquely situated to gather data and marshal resources that will aid in preparing Latino/a Catholics for leadership and service in the Church. As the Hispanic Catholic population continues to grow, LMU seeks to grow in the capacity to truly serve this important community in the Body of Christ.
Upcoming Events, Save these Dates!
- The Annual Charles S. Casassa Chair of Catholic Social Values Lecture: “Images of Self & Society: A Cultural Battleground” with Fr. Michael Paul Gallagher, S.J. on Wednesday, September 18, 2013.
- The Third Annual Hispanic Ministry & Theology Lecture with Carmen Nanko-Fernández on Tuesday, October 1, 2013.
- Vatican II @ 50: A Symposium on Thursday, October 10, 2013 at 3:00PM. For more information, visit: www.lmu.edu/vatican2
- Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe | 12/09/12, Bilingual mass with reception to follow. Organized by Chicano Latino Student Services and Campus Ministry. Chapel of the Sacred Heart, 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
- El Catolicismo Latino en EE.UU. y la Nueva Evangelización: Actualidades y Oportunidades con Dr. Tim Matovina | Viernes, 16 de Noviembre, 2012, Ahmanson Auditorium (University Hall 1000) en la Universidad de Loyola Marymount, 6:45 PM - 9:00 PM.
- Casassa Lecture: Latino Contributions to Vatican II Renewal with Dr. Tim Matovina | Thursday, November 15, 2012, Ahmanson Auditorium (University Hall 1000) at Loyola Marymount University, 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM.
- Misa de la Herencia Latina | 10/14/12 Mass will be celebrated in Spanish. Reception will follow. Chapel of the Sacred Heart at Loyola Marymount University, 12:00 PMVatican II at 50 Symposium | 10/11/12 Identity and Mission of the Church-- The Church in the Third Millennium, Ahmanson Auditorium (University Hall 1000) at Loyola Marymount University,3:00 PM, for more information on this event, please click here.
- "Beyond the Polarized Present: Beyond the Polarized Present: New Perspectives on U.S.Latino Migration and Christianity," the Second Annual Hispanic Ministry and Theology Lecture by Casassa Professor, Fr. Allan Figueroa Deck, S.J. on October 4, 2012 at 7:00p.m. in Ahmanson Auditorium (University Hall 1000) at Loyola Marymount University.
- '"Greater America": The Hispanic Mission and the New Evangelization," the Inaugural Annual Hispanic Ministry and Theology Lecture by Archbishop José Gómez, on October 11, 2011 at Loyola Marymount University.
- "Latino Catholics in L.A.: Mythsm Realities, and Possibilities," with Bishop Gabino Zavala, and respondents Dr. Fernando Guerra, Dr. Hosffman Ospnio, and Ellie Hidalgo, M.A. on October 7, 2010 at Loyola Marymount University.
LMU is the host institution for the 2014 Symposium on Catholic Hispanic Ministry in the United States, the follow-up to the Symposium held at Boston College in 2009.
Contact Us At:
Attn: Latino Theology and Ministry Initiative
1 LMU Drive, Suite 3700
Loyola Marymount University
Los Angeles, CA 90045