Admission Information

Before You Apply

In order for an application to be considered, the applicant must be able to show:

  • A Baccalaureate Degree from an accredited institution;
  • A demonstrated ability to do graduate studies--this requirement can be fulfilled by providing a range of information, including:
  • Graduate work completed or advanced degree obtained,
  • Evidence of undergraduate work, including G.P.A. and submission of written academic work (e.g., term paper),
  • Scores received on the GRE, the Miller Analogies, or other standardized tests (recommended but not required),
  • A personal interview
  • Applicants need to indicate the particular Master of Arts program to which they are applying, either M.A. in Theology (THEO) or Pastoral Theology (PATH).



Applicants for admission to the master's degree programs are required to submit:

To receive a paper application package by mail to any LMU graduate division program, please e-mail your name, your postal address, and the title of your program of interest to Graduate Admissions Office . You may also call the Graduate Admissions Office at (310) 338-2721 to request a paper application package by mail or for any other specific questions regarding the application process.

If you need more information, consult the University Bulletin which is updated biannually

Important Deadlines
All materials should be sent to the Graduate Admissions Office, by the dates listed below:

  • Fall 2015 application priority deadline is March 21st.

Applications received after this deadline will be reviewed on an individual basis.

Those who have applied for admission may be formally admitted or may be required to fulfill prerequisites before being formally admitted.

Admitted students will be required to attend a Graduate Student Orientation prior to the start of their first semester. Information for your Orientation will be sent to you upon admittance into your program.

Students may take graduate courses in non-degree status with the clearance of the Graduate Admissions and with permission of the instructor.

All coursework normally will be taken as outlined in the university bulletin. However, some substitutions may be granted, particularly for students who entered the program under another bulletin and need to fulfill requirements according to that bulletin. The student will request his or her advisor to make a substitution. The advisor will consult with the program director. The Director approves or disapproves the request and informs the Dean and Department Chair in writing regarding the substitution.

A maximum of six semester hours of graduate work completed in a non-degree status at Loyola Marymount University may be applied toward the graduate program. Similarly, a maximum of six semester hours of graduate level work with a minimum grade of "B" (3.0) may be transferred from another accredited institution toward the graduate program.

Independent Studies Courses
A student who wishes to pursue an area of research which is not covered in any of the courses offered in the program can develop an independent studies course under the supervision of a full-time faculty member of the department. A proposal should be drawn up in writing on the form available in the Office of the Registrar. It should be approved by the student's advisor and the department chair in the semester before the student expects to enroll in the course. No more than one independent studies course can be taken in any given semester, and no more than two can be counted towards the fulfillment of the course requirements for a degree.