Professor of Italian and Director of the Humanities Program
Ph.D., University of Wisconsin.
B.A. and M.A., University College Galway/National University of Ireland;
Office: University Hall 3945
Phone: (310) 338-7423
Areas of Specialization:
- Italian Cinema, Contemporary Italian Literature, Transnational Film Studies
Recent Publications (Selected):
- “Postcolonial Theory and Italy’s ‘Multicultural’ Cinema.” The Italian Cinema Book, ed. Peter Bondanella, Palgrave: Basingstoke, 2014. 295-302.
- “Towards a Transnational Approach to the Study of Contemporary Italian Film.” The Italianist, 34. 2 (2014) 269–272
- “Transnational Mobility and Precarious Labor in Post-Cold War Europe: The Spectral Disruptions of Carmine Amoroso’s Cover Boy” (co-authored with Alice Bardan). The Cinemas of Italian Migration: European and Transatlantic Narratives, ed. Sabine Schrader and Daniel Winkler. Newcastle: CSP, 2013. 69-90.
- “Screening Intimacy and Racial Difference in Postcolonial Italy.” Postcolonial Italy: Challenging National Homogeneity, ed. Cristina Lombardi Diop and Caterina Romeo. New York: Palgrave, 2012. 203-218.
- “I documentari dei migranti.” Quaderni del CSCI: Rivista annuale di cinema italiano. 8 (2012). 133-139.
- “Vittorio De Sica in the Garden of the Finzi-Continis.” Poscritto a Giorgio Bassani: Saggi in memoria del decimo anniversario della morte, ed. Roberta Antognini and Rodica Diaconescu Blumenfeld. Milan: LED, 2011. 499-516.
- “Anthropological Anxieties: Roberta Torre’s Critique of Mafia Violence.” Visions of Struggle: Women’s Filmmaking in the Mediterranean, ed. Flavia Laviosa. New York: Palgrave, 2010. 83-101.
- “Mediterranean Passages: Abjection and Belonging in Contemporary Italian Cinema.” California Italian Studies 1:1 (2010). Web. http://escholarship.org/uc/item/2qh5d59c
- “A Neapolitan Childhood: Seduction and Betrayal in Pianese Nunzio quattordici a maggio.” Coming of Age in Film: Transformations in World Cinema, ed. Anne Hardcastle, Kendall Tarte, and Robert Morosini, eds. Newcastle: CSP, 2009. 12-22.
- “[Non] è una somala: Deconstructing African Femininity in Italian Film.” The Italianist, 29: 2 (2009). 175-198.
- Transcultural Mediations and Transnational Politics of Difference (Special Issue). Feminist Media Review 9:4 (2009), co-edited with Katarzyna Marciniak and Anikó Imre.
- “Alterità, abiezione e autorialità in Non ti muovere dal romanzo al film.” Sinergie narrative in letteratura e film nell'Italia contemporanea, ed. Guido Bonsaver, Martin McLaughlin, and Franca Pellegrini. Florence: Cesati, 2008. 233-247.
- Transnational Feminism in Film and Media. New York: Palgrave, 2007 (co-edited with Katarzyna Marciniak and Anikó Imre).
- “Border Traffic: Reimagining the Voyage to Italy.” Transnational Feminism in Film and Media. New York: Palgrave, 2007, 59-72.