Major and Minor Requirements
Lower-Division Requirements (8 semester hours) including:
- ASPA 2100 Asian Civilizations 4 semester hours
- HIST 1800 Modern Asia: China, Japan, and Korea since 1600 4 semester hours
Language Requirement (8 semester hours):
Study of an Asian language (competence expected is the equivalent of a one-year study, i.e., 8 semester hours). Native speakers of an Asian language may be exempted from the language requirement but will be strongly encouraged to study another language. At LMU, course credit may be obtained for CHIN 1101, CHIN 1102, CHIN 2103, CHIN 2104; FLPN 1101, FLPN 1102, FLPN 2103, FLPN 2104; JAPN 1101, JAPN 1102, JAPN 2103, JAPN 2104. At UCLA, credit may be obtained through the SOCCIS program for Arabic, Korean, and Mongolian.
Upper-Division Requirements (24 semester hours):
- ASPA 3200 Masterpieces of East Asian Literature 4 semester hours
- ASPA 3500 Economic and Political Issues in Contemporary Asia 4 semester hours
- ASPA 5000 Senior Integrating Seminar 4 semester hours
Note: Choose the additional twelve upper-division semester hours from ASPA courses or, in consultation with the Chairperson, from courses with substantial content focused on Asia and the Pacific region in other disciplines, including art, business, economics, history, philosophy, political science, and theological studies.
16 semester hours
- HIST 1800 Modern Asia, ASPA 2100 Asian Civilizations, or a Foundations course in the University Core Curriculum that has substantial content focused on Asia (4 semester hours)
- ASPA 5000 Senior Integrating Seminar (4 semester hours)
- Asia-related courses (8 semester hours). In consultation with the Chairperson, the student may choose courses in another College or School, if the courses prove to have substantial content focused on Asia and the Pacific region.